Haiku, poems, and stories

Random thoughts and stories, maybe even the occasional photo.

-Robert

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

midsummer's day
herring, aquavit, boiled potatoes ...
sunshine too
Posted on NaHaiWriMo FB page on 8/12/2012.  The prompt was holiday activities
    • Annie Juhl: "ohh that sounds like a good Scandinavian lunch ;-)"

    • Robert Franson: "One of my very small efforts to connect with my roots. My paternal grandparents emigrated from the Motala area of Sweden in 1867 & 68 with their two year old daughter. Like so many immigrants they decided that, as Americans, they would not speak Swedish or talk of the old country. My father, the fifth and last child knew nothing of his heritage. I did manage, thanks to the Swedish Church Books, to find where they came from, who their parents were, and what other children they had. All of their siblings emigrated, leaving behind their parents. I thought that very sad."

No comments:

Post a Comment